Thursday, February 25, 2010

One Pony short tonight

So Scout has been obsessed with horsies the last few days. It started when I discovered that a stuffed horse she got from grandpa Pugh over a year ago was actually a "Webkinz" which means that it came with a little code you entered into this website where there is an entire virtual world for your pet. I mean, complete with building it a house and buying furniture (and anything else you can imagine for it too), you also have to feed it and keep it healthy. You pay for all this by getting a job in the employment office or playing games for "kinzcash". It's all very cute and well and good except Scout is just a hair too young to do any of it alone (you have to read essentially) to get by. So when she wants to visit "Unicorns" (it's a brown Clydesdale she had to name) I have to be there to coach her and when she wants to play games to make money to buy it things I have to help her with the games (which usually translates to me just playing it). It's made for a few nice mommy daughter moments playing games, but mostly, it's become a thorn in my side (never mind that all week I have spent over two hours a night madly engrossed in "Cash Cow" and listening to yes Matt- Arcade Fire the whole time). When Scout wakes up, she is greeted with 800-1000 webkinz dollars to her delight.
Anyway, it's MOSTLY a thorn in my side (thank goodness the website shuts down at midnight and I am forced to go to bed- or tonight: write a blog post).

So, the point is, because of this, Scout has become quite obsessed with Unicorns (of the stuffed variety) and has added another little stuffed pony to the mix and together with Kiki, have been her constant companions for about 3 days. Tonight, when I would ask Scout a question, I would be answered by my three horsey children with a "neigh neigh neigh" -they all would answer in 3 different voices.

We took a quick trip to the store before dinner tonight to grab 3 or 4 items and I took Scout and her entourage. Well, after getting the bags in the car and totally strapping Scout in her car seat, she realizes that she is missing one horse (not Unicorns, the pony- which is just a little beany baby size I bought her a few summers ago on a trip to Thanksgiving Point's farm country). So I had to get the cart again, get Scout out, and back track every aisle we visited with no luck. We went to customer service and Scout was just beside herself, so sad. They hadn't had it turned in, and they were so sad seeing this very broken up little girl who missed her horse. Anyway, we had to go back home with one solider down. It was a very sad trip and a sad time on daddy's lap with a tissue telling the tale. We tried to cheer her up by letting her paint some little things that she said would cheer her up and I let her listen to Boo-bay (Cherry Cherry by Neil Diamond- listen to that song and you will realize why she calls it Boo-bay). Anyway, she cheered up some, but we keep listening to old Neil and I was busy trying to get dinner in the oven (late because of all the drama) and I heard her silently weeping again. I went over there and she said that the song that was on was making her sad and made her miss her pony. It was the cutest/saddest thing ever. Break a mom's heart. It was September Morn! I am going to provide the song for you so we can all lament this sad little lost horse Scout hadn't even named yet (and had owned for quite some time). But they shared some quality time these last few days. I may as well provide Cherry Cherry too for convenience sake.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


Rob and I sniggered after she had gone to bed and replaced the rhymes "day" "play" and "way" with- yep: neigh.

7 comments:

ajmah said...

That's tragic! Poor Scout. September Morn will forever hold tragic overtones for her... or rather MORE tragic overtones than it intrinsically holds.

Cat said...

That is just about the cutest and saddest thing I've ever heard. I'm impressed with her interpretation skills. I wonder what cute and sad litte montage was going on in her head listening to that song. Little memories of her and her lost pony.

Haley said...

I was thinking the same thing that it's amazing that she put all of that together. She is one smart little girl. So sad that she lost her pony. You've got to stop with the sad lost toy with sad song posts, they make me cry!

Amy said...

No kidding...talk about ripping our hearts out! Has she heard "Done Too Soon"? Better not. Check back with the store. Maybe it got found later and turned in. Then you might have to play something upbeat and happy like Crunchy Granola Suite or something. I hope so.

Emily said...

We went back yesterday and it wasn't there. She was crushed anew, but she's doing fine. She has made up a few different scenarios about what happened to it- 1 involving a mean boy and the other a little girl (she has ordered them both to say sorry). Sorry to depress you guys, but really- the story would be much more tragic if it was one of her wowees or "Unicorns" or kiki of course. Remember when we lost kiki and I absolutely BAWLED writing that post. That was sad.

Amy said...

Glad she's doing OK and that it wasn't a more beloved pet.

megandjon said...

i love that you cheered her up with Neil Diamond. I'll have to remember that one in the future. You remind me a little of my mother. She used to do stuff like that too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails