Sunday, February 27, 2011

My Oscar "confidence list"


Just for fun, a movie podcast I listen to (Movie BS) is doing an interesting Oscar predictions system that I couldn't resist. You make your predictions, then list them in the order of picks you are most confident. There are 24 categories, so the pick you are most confident in, you can give yourself 24 points if you're right. The pick you are least confident in (in my case, I have never heard of any of the documentary shorts, so I had to take a total stab in the dark) you only get a point. Therefore, it's cool, cause one point? Meh.

So here is my list:

Light: Ones I ended up predicting
Dark: My losers

24: Animated feature - Toy Story 3

23: Lead Actor - Colin Firth, The King's Speech
22: Best Picture - The King's Speech
21: Foreign Language - Dogtooth, Greece
20: Adapted Screenplay - 127 Hours
19: Supporting Actor - Christian Bale, The Fighter
18: Cinematography - The Social Network
17: Directing - Darran Aronofsky, Black Swan
16: Make Up - The Wolfman
15: Original Score - The Social Network
14: Original Screenplay - Inception
13: Best Actress - Nicole Kidman
12: Documentary (Feature length) - Exit Through the Gift Shop*
11: Supporting Actress - Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit
10: Art Direction - Inception
9: Costume Design - True Grit
8: Editing - 127 Hours
7: Original Song - We Belong Together, Randy Newman
6: Sound Mixing - The Social Network
5: Visual effects - Inception
4: Animated Short - Day & Night
3: Live Action Short - Na Weve
2: Sound Editing - Inception
1: Documentary (short) - Killing in the Name
FINAL SCORE: 133 (meh)

*my only real pick that came totally from my heart - favorite movie of the year-- had to do it.
So that's that. My prediction really, is that I do terrible.
Bring in on Oscars-- I can take it.

Also- I SWEAR "What Emily's Been Watching" January edition is coming really soon, it's half written, I've just been lazy. I will work on it during the Oscars and post it tonight. That's a promise.
(You can take that with as much salt as you can take any of my blog promises.)

4 comments:

B said...

Sweet! I will play along.

24. Best picture: Inception
23. Best actor in a supporting role: Christian Bale, The Fighter
22. Best actor in a leading role: Colin Firth, The King’s Speech
21. Best actress in a leading role: Natalie Portman, Black Swan
20. Best actress in a supporting role: Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit
19. Best animated feature film: How to train your dragon
18. Best production design: Inception
17. Best visual effects: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1
16. Best cinematography: Black Swan
15. Best costume design: Alice in Wonderland
14. Best writing (adapted screenplay): True Grit
13. Best writing (original screenplay): The King’s Speech
12. Best directing: Coen Brothers, True Grit
11. Best original song: We belong together, Toy Story 3
10. Best documentary feature: Exit Through The Gift Shop
9. Best original score: Inception
8. Best sound editing: Tron; Legacy
7. Best sound mixing: Inception
6. Best editing: 127 Hours
5. Best foreign language film: In a better world, Denmark
4. Best documentary short: Poster Girl
3. Best makeup: The Wolfman
2. Best animated short film: The Lost Thing
1. Best live action short film: Na Wewe

Here's to crashing and burning!!

Emily said...

Right on B! Good luck. If you get a perfect score it will add up to 300 or 400 I forget... I believe it is supposed to be the same as a bowling score, so whatever that is (you can tell I bowl a lot).

Emily said...

Wow I just noticed that I had Colin Firth down for actor and supporting actor. Much as I like Colin Firth, I think I'll go with Christian Bale- the one that I actually had in my notes while compiling my list.

B said...

Bip. You beat me by 11 points. 133 to 122. I won in 10 categories, you won in 9. I got best actor, actress and supporting actor though! You beat me at the last minute with best picture. You've probably seen twice as many of these as me. Oh well, I had fun looking at all of the "fashionable" dresses, and need to see the King's Speech now!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails