Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My Ipod had a Final Destination moment yesterday....

My Ipod Shuffle (featured here), seems to be telling me that the movie Final Destination isn't that far from reality. If you haven't seen the movie, let me explain it's basic premise (I have never seen the whole thing, but caught about 45 minutes of it on cable once). Basically, before some trip, a kid has a vision of him and his friends getting in a plane crash, so he tells them not to board the plane. Surprise surprise the plane does crash and he saved all their lives (I think some didn't heed his word and died). The "universe" found a way to course correct itself and have what was to be, be. For the rest of the movie, one by one, everyone that was saved from the plane crash dies in freaky ways. I have a nagging feeling there is another movie or something that focuses on "course correction" and is the same kind of idea but for the life of me I can't think what it might be. If anyone out there knows, please let me know!
So anyway, my ipod had been missing for a whole day and I was just kind of halfheartedly searching here and there for it, knowing it would turn up somewhere (it always does). What I didn't think of, was that Scout had spilled a drink on the cookie blanket the day before, and I had scooped it up and thrown it in the washer, but not washed it. I was waiting one day for my official "laundry day", so it just sat in the machine. You may think that I saved it from the wash, but it found it's way in there again and that is my final destination story. Nope. I threw some towels on top of the blanket and started it up. While transferring the contents into the dryer, I heard a *clink* and I just knew. I looked and sure enough there was "neil", earphones and all. I put the buds in my ears and turned it on and silence. I thought, well- Rob's first shuffle survived an entire winter under an iceburg and is still (far as I know) going strong at Sue's house. So, I plugged ol' neil up to the computer and he popped up on my itunes! All the stuff still showed up on it too. I was dubious about the earphones, but after I let the ipod charge up for about 15 minutes, I plugged them in and besides being a little crackily, they worked! I rejoiced and shared the ordeal with Rob and we marveled at the endurance of Ipod shuffles and I happily enjoyed Neil as I prepared our Memorial Day hamburgers. The crackling even went away after a short amount of time.
After dinner, Scout and Lola needed a park romp- so I got out the wagon put the kids in it and got Lola leashed up and we went to the park. I ran around with Lowes (she was particularly naughty) and I had to chase her quite a bit and I SWEAR I noticed at one point that I still had Neil clipped to my shirt (this is very common- I will unhook the earphones, but the ipod stays clipped to the bottom of my shirt until I remember to remove it and put it somewhere safe. When I got back from the park, fed Elles, and had Scout in bed, I noticed Neil was gone. I looked around the couch and decided that it must be at the park, so I went back and back tracked and couldn't find it anywhere. I went back inside and Rob took Lola, and searched for me for a while (I was kind of having a bad day and he took pity on me). He looked and then I went out again and searched again. No Neil in sight. So, I had quite a roller coaster ride yesterday concerning my shuffle. I couldn't believe my luck that I didn't dry it (Rob's got dried once and that is an ipod kiss of death), also I couldn't believe it could survive an entire wash cycle! I was so happy and thankful it worked I thought about it all day! and then- bam! Cruelly lost at the park. I suppose it's fate was sealed when I woke up that morning and since it was miraculously saved from it's fate- the universe had to do something.

As a neat little twist (I don't believe I shared this on my blog before) my good old original ipod I wrote an obituary for last fall, crawled back from the grave and was my companion today. Yes, he came back to life months later when Rob decided to spontaneously plug it back in, just to see. I had Neil by then, so it's sat in my "ipod accessory basket" abandoned for months. It was kind of fun to use "old trusty" again (it's new, well deserved name) but Neil has definitely spoiled me. I love Neil, I miss Neil, I want Neil back. (No Rob, I'm not hinting- I'm just saying).

I am not fully writing Neil off, as miracles do happen when it comes to my family's ipods. So stay tuned. Good grief, I need to make a label for my ipod soap operas!

6 comments:

ajmah said...

Man! You do have ipod sagas. Just have them be actual people and you've got a best-seller on your hands. Although for the life of me I don't know how you'd put a person through the wash cycle...

Haley said...

Poor Neil, hope you find him!

Pops said...

Poor Neil, lost and probabally picked up by some kid that will fill it with Hip Hop. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. I am listening to my orange Nano while mowing grass at the airport. BeeGees and Neil. Funny story, Ems about your shuttle device still working and about Neil working after being washed. I wished mom's cell phone would have worked after Chester dropped it in the toilet.

Amy said...

I can't believe it went through a wash cycle and lived. Good to know. I can't believe I haven't had that happen at our house yet!

joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Wow, quite the story. I fully believe that thing is going to show up in some crazy place.
I have no such luck with electronics. My iphone got put in the same purse pocket as some errant wedding bubble solution and didn't live the tell the tale. So fussy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails